Services : Interlibrary Loan
Borrowing materials from other libraries
Please confirm that Hoyt Lakes Public Library does not own a title by searching the library catalog by author, title, or keyword.
If the library does not own the item, the item can be borrowed through interlibrary loan.
You can place an interlibrary loan request for materials:
• online through the library catalog
• online through the MnLINK system
• over the phone by calling 218-225-2412
• or in person at any library service desk
Recently published or released materials may not be borrowed through interlibrary loan.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is interlibrary loan?
Through the interlibrary loan service, the Hoyt Lakes Public Library can get materials for users that the library doesn't own. The materials can be sent to a library of the users choice.
What can't I get through interlibrary loan?
Libraries do not lend DVDs of new or popular movies and TV shows, new bestselling books, eBooks or eReaders, computer software, or entire issues of magazines.
How much does it cost?
Almost always free, but in rare cases there may be a charge. If this is the case the library will contact you before proceeding. You are responsible for fines on overdue items and replacement costs for lost or damaged materials.
How long will it take?
Most requests are filled in 1-2 weeks. Materials that are in high demand, hard to find, or owned by only a few libraries may take longer.
How can I check the status of my request?
You can log into “My Account” on our website, look on MnLINK or call the library at 218-225-2412.
What happens when my interlibrary loan materials come in?
You will be notified by phone or email. One you are notified, the materials will be held at the circulation desk of your chosen library.
How long can I keep my interlibrary loan materials?
Loan periods for most items are the same as if they were owned by Hoyt Lakes Public Library: It is in your best interest to pick up your materials promptly.
Can I renew my interlibrary loan materials?
What are the restrictions on these services?
- If the Hoyt Lakes Public Library owns or has ordered the item you want, please do not request through interlibrary loan
- Your card cannot be expired and you cannot owe more than $10 in fines, fees or other charges
- Students should request course materials through their school library
- Copyright restrictions may apply to some photocopy requests